Bowness on Solway 0030Bowness-on-Solway is the closest village to the western end of Hadrian's Wall, and the site of a Roman army camp. The name comes from old Norse words for a rounded headland. The Hadrian's Wall National Trail begins (or ends) here.
Port Carlisle 0013The village of Port Carlisle, originally known as Fishers Cross, was developed as a port in 1819 to handle goods for Carlisle using the canal link built in 1823. The canal was 11¼ mile long, and had 8 locks which were all built 18 feet wide.
From a wooden jetty, through the entrance sea lock and one other, the canal ran level for nearly six miles. Then followed six locks in one and a quarter miles, with a level stretch to Carlisle Basin.
Creative Landscape Photography of the Outer Hebrides including St Kilda, Scottish Borders, and Cumbria
THESE IMAGES MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PERMISSION
All images strictly Copyright 'James Smith Photography' All rights reserved